Well, they haven't fired me yet. Haha, just kidding; my first week at Nationwide actually went really well. I am rather proud of myself for surviving an entire week of driving in downtown Des Moines (even in bad weather!). I get to the office around 8 each morning, but it's nice not having to worry to much about being there right on time. If I'm a few minutes late because traffic was backed up, it's no big deal. That takes a lot of stress out of the drive.
Most of my week has been spent trying to learn ColdFusion. There were some really great tutorials, and I feel that I have a pretty good handle on it. I certainly don't know every little detail about the language, but I know enough to be able to understand someone else's code and write a little of my own. Our team is working on a web application where Nationwide customers can manage their policies and make payments. It was previously done by a team in Columbus (the main Nationwide branch), but my team members are definitely not impressed by the work. There are a lot of bugs, and the code is written poorly. One of my favorite examples of this are the ridiculously long function names, such as: getPolicyNumberForCustomerWithValidLoginAfterBillingArrayHasBeenInitialized(). (Now, I just made that one up, but seriously, some of these names take up my entire window screen so I have to use the horizontal scrollbar in order to read the darned things.)
I don't have my own computer yet, but I cannot wait until I do! The one I'm currently using is ridiculously slow. Hopefully, I will have my PC by the end of next week.
Today, we had a meeting to decide our team name and discuss some areas of the project where we would like to see improvements. We voted for "The Annexation of Puerto Rico." (I was told that it's a football play in the movie Little Giants.) This might be too long of a name, however, so If our supervisor doesn't approve it, our second choice is "Sinister Dominos." No, there's no story behind that one. Programmers are just weird like that.
Not gonna lie, I've really enjoyed getting to feel all important in my business clothes and going to meetings and whatnot. That will probably wear off pretty quickly, but hey, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.
I hope you all had a great week as well! Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment